Texas Wool Handling School
May 4-5, 2018
9:00 am to 4:00 pm
The Giles Family
Dr. Lisa Surber
ASI Raw Wool Services
Sponsor: Texas Sheep & Goat Raisers
Registration: please contact Dawn & Paul Brown via email below
**send an email requesting registration-->payment invoice will be sent through PayPal, or may return invoice by mail with check.
- A two day wool education opportunity hosted by the historic Hillingdon Ranch, in conjunction with the American Sheep Industry Association and Texas Sheep & Goat Raisers.
- Learn current wool handling practices and procedures in a hands-on setting, including classroom lecture and time in shearing barn working with raw fleeces.
- Take home knowledge and skills that fit your unique sheep/wool operation needs.
- Network with other large and small wool producers, potential new producers and fiber farms.
- 20 prospective students, ages 14 yrs and older
- written course materials, lunch, drinks and snacks provided
Basic Course Schedule-
- Friday, May 4, 2018- flexible depending on shearing schedule
9:00 am-12:00 noon- classroom lecture slides/videos in the ranch pavillion
12 noon- 1:00 pm- break for lunch, networking, question/answer
1:00 pm- 4:00 pm - shearing barn for hands on wool handling
- Saturday, May 5, 2018- flexible depending on shearing schedule
12 noon-1:00 pm- break for lunch, networking, question/answer
1:00 pm- 4:00 pm- more hands-on instruction, wrap-up
- wool fiber characteristics and growth
- practices to grow sustainable and healthy wool
- wool marketing and increasing wool value
- wool handling - from shearing floor to the baler,
- wool processing/garments/trends
- ASI Wool Quality Improvement Programs
346 Giles Ranch Road
Comfort, Texas 78013
Lodging- many options in nearby Fredericksburg, Texas www.visitfredericksburgtx.com
or in Comfort, Texas at www.meyerbedandbreakfast.com
Copyright © 2015